Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cheesecake of the Month

Amy gave me a really neat magazine called Cheesecakes & More. This magazine is full of cheesecakes that I want to try so I decided that I would make a different cheesecake each month. For January I chose one with apples called Apple-of-your-eye Cheesecake. This was the first time I had eaten an apple cheesecake and I think this recipe is a keeper so it will be added to my recipe file. 

My problem now is decide which one to make next. Will it be the German chocolate cheesecake, nutty candy bar cheesecake, golden-glazed lemon cheesecake, layered hazelnut cheesecake, Hawaiian cheesecake, key lime cheesecake, orange chocolate cheesecake, blueberry swirl cheesecake, black forest cheesecake, lemon cheesecake, frozen raspberry cheesecake or one of the many more in the book? 

There is also a interesting peppermint chip cheesecake recipe that I want to try. Just not sure if anyone in my family here in Jefferson will like it besides me. Randi, I may have to call your family to see if anyone wants some so I won't eat a whole cheesecake by myself. 




 
Apple-of-your-eye Cheesecake


1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 16 squares)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted


FILLING:

3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract


TOPPING:

2-1/2 cups chopped peeled apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

6 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping, divided
Sweetened whipped cream
2 tablespoons chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, combine the crackers, sugar, pecans and cinnamon; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom of a lightly greased 9-in. springform pan. Place pan a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in vanilla. Pour over crust. Toss apples with lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon; spoon over filling. Return pan to baking sheet.
Bake at for 55-60 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons caramel topping. Cool for 1 hour. Chill overnight.
Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream. Drizzle with remaining caramel; sprinkle with pecans. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.


3 comments:

  1. randi would like peppermint but that sounds gross to me - i vote for nutty candy bar cheesecake next

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness i'm so excited about this! I made the reese's cheesecake again and it was soo good. everyone loved it.
    i am going to go for key lime cheesecake because i love key lime pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea...I love anything peppermint flavored but me and you might be alone on that one. My dad will eat anything you make, just give him a call and he will pick it up himself! I LOVE apples and cinnamon, I'll have to try that one. Other than peppermint, I vote for the golden-glazed lemon. p.s. can you come live with us?

    ReplyDelete